START YOUR WEEK WITH THE COACH
“A 15-minute Vision checkup”
Ask your core leaders these seven questions. If they answer no or show hesitation you are overdo for a vision checkup.
If your core leaders show any doubt rest assured the team members on the outer edge don’t have a clue. It’s the “outer-edge” team members that have the initial and most frequent contact with those you serve or are trying to reach.
1. IMAGINABLE: Does our vision convey a compelling picture of our future?
2. DESIRABLE: Does our vision appeal and grab the attention of at least two generations?
3. FEASIBLE: Is our vision built on reasonable, stretchable and achievable goals?
4. FOCUSED: Does our vision guide and dominate our decision making process?
5. FLEXIBLE: Does our vision allow for individual creativity and changing conditions?
6. COMMUNICABLE: Can all of our core leaders “Tell our story” and describe our vision in 100 words or less?
7. EXECUTABLE: Is our strategy (action plan) well-conceived, understood and embraced by all team members?
You get the best results when your team members feel they can be brutally honest, especially with leader. Great leaders keep drilling down until they discover what every team member really thinks, not just what they think the leader wants to hear.
Until you have that degree of openness and honesty by everyone on the team you have not taped into the full potential of your team. Until you ask your team for just a little more than they think they can give, you won’t get all they can give. That takes commitment, trust and honest answers to these seven questions.
When’s the last time you and your team had a vision checkup? Poor attitudes, low energy and lack of engagement may indicate its time.